Episode 16: Gun Violence Prevention
In the first segment Sophy and Kelly talk with Brenna, the Chicago lead for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America about the problem of gun violence in America and what Moms Demand Action is doing to fight the NRA. In the second segment, they speak with Shannon Cosgrove, the Director of Health Policy at Cure Violence, an NGO that stops the spread of violence by using the methods and strategies associated with disease control – detecting and interrupting conflicts, identifying and treating the highest risk individuals, and changing social norms.
Warning: This episode discusses gun violence, mass shootings, suicide, and accidental firearm death. It may not be suitable for children.
If you have any trouble finding us on your favorite podcasting platform, email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
Moms Demand Action Resources:
- Reject Concealed Carry Reciprocity (HR38), the NRA's #1 priority bill
Text DANGEROUS to 64433 to make a call to connect to Representative. Click here to send message directly to Representative to OPPOSE CCR. Use #StopCCR on social media to let your Representatives know that you care about this issue right now.
- Be SMART
http://besmartforkids.org Talk to family about securing guns in the house and about gun safety to prevent child gun deaths.
- JOIN Moms Demand Action - Become a member and join the largest grassroots organization fighting for commonsense gun laws
https://momsdemandaction.org (Search for events near you - http://act.everytown.org/event/moms-demand-action-event/search)
- In Illinois, more info on the Gun Dealer Licensing Act (SB 1657) and how to take action
https://ilgvp.com/ouronejob Take action to call and write to Illinois State Representative to SUPPORT gun dealer licensing bill.
Cure Violence Resources
- The Interrupters Documentary
- Webinar: How to Start a Cure Violence Program
- Evaluation by John Jay College of Criminal Justice Research and Evaluation Center.
- Cure Violence Donation Site.
- Arthur, Rob. "No Matter How You Measure Them, Mass Shooting Deaths Are Up," FiveThirtyEight. November 7, 2017.
- Asher, Jeff, and Mai Nguyen. "Gun Laws Stop At State Lines, But Guns Don’t," FiveThirtyEight. October 26, 2017.
- Caron, Christina. "‘Ghost Guns,’ Homemade and Untraceable, Face Growing Scrutiny," The New York Times. November 27, 2017.
- Edgerton, Anna. "McConnell Among Republicans Backing Gun Background-Check Bill," Bloomberg Politics. November 28, 2017.
- Gorner, Jeremy. "Chicago's top cop touts reduced violence in Englewood neighborhood," Chicago Tribune. November 16, 2017.
- Horwitz, Joshua. "The path forward for democrats starts with gun violence prevention," The Hill. November 28, 2017.
- Johnson, Kevin. "Black Friday posts new single day record for gun checks at more than 200,000," USA Today. November 25, 2017.
- Mencken, F. Carson and Paul Froese. "Gun Culture in Action," Social Problems. November 20, 2017.
- Oppel, Richard A., Jr. "Air Force Failed to Report Dozens of Service Members to Gun Database," The New York Times. November 28, 2017.